BY Dr.Rob Conradie
It is well known that Candida is found:
• After prolonged use of antibiotics.
• Secondary to many virus infections especially Young bird disease.
• After long periods of stress.
• When products containing a high percentage of “sugar” are fed.
Over the past few years we have been finding increasing problems with Candida after Canker treatment.
Treatment and Prevention
• Candida can be prevented to a certain extent with the regular use of probiotics like Enteroplus especially after the use of antibiotics and Canker medication.
• During the race season when birds are being given antibiotics,Canker medication and being subjected to tremendous stress we find the highest incidence of Candida from July onwards, as a result of these three factors.As a prevenative treatment use Medistatin on the food for two days early in the week.Sunday and Monday or Monday and Tuesday for example.
• When Candida has been confirmed by microscopic examination or is strongly suspected give a 5 to 7 day course of Medistatin.It is not absorbed from the intestine,making it safe to use.It does not damage the liver,kidneys etc.